Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL security

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Kornmann, Ralf <rkornmann@ea.com> wrote:
It's shader based like WebGL. They use the XNA API (not the WPF 3D API) to access the GPU. The feature set is more or less the same as WebGL and Flash 3D.
The main differences to WebGL are that the shaders are precompiled to a binary token form and that they use state objects (like DX10). But as it is based on DirectX/XNA this should no surprise.

So Silverlight 5 3D has (if any) the exact same security implications as Stage3D and WebGL, so it's pretty much hypocrisy.

I'm curious as to the precompiled shaders, it seems to me that's quite a disadvantage because you can't do stuff like a shader sandbox or a configurable pipeline that outputs matching shaders.

Related, I wonder if it'd be possible to put a wrapper around WebGL in JS that targets Stage3D or Silverlight for WebGL calls. The precompilation of shaders to DX binary could be a little tricky.