Re: [Public WebGL] Proposing OpenGL ES extensions for inclusion into WebGL

On 03/01/2012 09:57, Glenn Maynard wrote:
On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Ashley Gullen <ashley@scirra.com> wrote:

I suggested texture_npot a while back which is useful for 2D games, but the sentiment seemed to be that it was best to avoid extensions since desktop developers might accidentally write WebGL apps that are broken on mobile devices with less extension support.

Not really--if that were the case, there would be no extension mechanism.

The key word is accidentally: by not providing any capabilities of an extension before it's explicitly queried--a new aspect of WebGL compared to other OpenGL APIs--it helps make sure people know when they're using optional capabilities.
I believe you are misinterpreting "accidentally." In the context in which Benoit used it, it refers to developers knowingly using an extension but one that they do not realize is not widely supported. As a result they may fail to provide a fallback for when it is not available.

Regards

ÂÂÂ -Mark