RE: [Public WebGL] Proposing OpenGL ES extensions for inclusion into WebGL

Hi Florian, all,

There’s a comprehensive database of OpenGL ES devices at www.glbenchmark.com, including a list of supported GL extensions per device. There’s no query mechanism for the extensions, though, so I had to manually browse through the database to gauge the level of support for each extension.

The results were not encouraging. In fact, there’s not even a single extension that would be universally supported. I was keeping my thumbs up for OES_depth_texture, as it’s supported even by the low-end ARM Mali 200 and Vivante GC530, but then it turned out that the spanking new NVIDIA Tegra 3 doesn’t have it! Sigh.

That said, I don’t think WebGL should be limited to the absolute lowest common denominator. If a particular feature is not available on a low-end mobile device X, that shouldn’t mean that no-one will ever get to use that feature. We should leave it up to each individual developer to make that choice. There are a number of OES extensions that are supported widely enough that they ought to be exposed to WebGL, IMO.

Best regards,

  Tomi