Re: [Public WebGL] Null return values on context loss

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Cedric Vivier <cvivier@mozilla.com> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 00:32, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Cedric Vivier <cvivier@mozilla.com> wrote:
>>
>> The "placeholder value" could be ES 2.0's initial value [1] ?
>>
>> It would avoid adding too much text to the spec, while returning
>> sensible 'defaults' that should not break apps.
>
> That might work.  getShaderParameter and getProgramParameter don't have
> this, though.
>
>> getSupportedExtensions should return an empty array as if no extension
>> is supported.
>
> Also getAttachedShaders.

Glenn convinced me such a change would be great to lessen the pain of
dealing with (by definition - unexpected) context loss for WebGL
developers.

Anyone else has an opinion on this?
Could we consider this a part of the whole context loss specification
polish underway for the next revision of the spec?

Let's defer this discussion until the rewrite of context lost and restored events is complete.

This proposed change involves a lot of additional specification and code in implementations. I am not convinced that the semantics would be sufficiently improved to warrant the additional complexity.

-Ken