Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
APPLE_texture_2D_limited_npot is not relevant to this discussion. These features are already part of the OpenGL ES 2.0 standard. The limitations are listed in section 3.8.2 of the spec.

What OES_texture_npot does is to remove the restrictions, primarily the mip-mapping and texture repeat. I don't know of any mobile hardware that supports any more than what is currently in OpenGL ES 2.0.

I think a point of confusion is that GL_OES_texture_npot has different purposes in ES 1.0 and 2.0. In 1.0 it adds NPOT support, where in 2.0 it just generalizes the support already present in the core. Since WebGL is based on ES 2.0, we're not actually talking about NPOT support itself; just about removing those restrictions.

(I had to review this for myself earlier in the thread, since I was confused that everyone kept saying "NPOT support", when I knew WebGL already supports NPOT textures.)

--
Glenn Maynard