Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL

On Nov 17, 2011, at 2:05 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

> OES_texture_npot doesn't appear to be widely supported. On iOS, http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/3DDrawing/Conceptual/OpenGLES_ProgrammingGuide/OpenGLESPlatforms/OpenGLESPlatforms.html indicates that the supported variant is APPLE_texture_2D_limited_npot, which has restrictions. A little less than 50% of the devices listed on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3881197/opengl-es-2-0-extensions-on-android-devices support OES_texture_npot. Some of the devices support GL_IMG_texture_npot, but I can't find a definition for that extension.
>
> The best path forward might be to define a WebGL extension which covers the least common denominator of all of these extensions, so that it can be supported on the majority of existing hardware.

APPLE_texture_2D_limited_npot is not relevant to this discussion. These features are already part of the OpenGL ES 2.0 standard. The limitations are listed in section 3.8.2 of the spec.

What OES_texture_npot does is to remove the restrictions, primarily the mip-mapping and texture repeat. I don't know of any mobile hardware that supports any more than what is currently in OpenGL ES 2.0.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com