Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL NPOT texture support

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
We've discussed this before, but in recap: I strongly disagree with the idea that WebGL should limit everyone to least-common-denominator hardware features.  Whether to pay the cost to support mobile hardware (in reduced capabilities and/or greater development time) should be the developer's choice; WebGL should not force that choice on me.

Make it hard to accidentally use optional capabilities (more can be done here, as we've discussed, eg. capability profile extensions) and document which extensions are available on which platforms (like http://caniuse.com's matrixes for web APIs).  Forcing everyone to limit themselves to mobile capabilities by artificially limiting the API can only slow adoption.
Bravo, this exactly reflects how I feel about restricting capabilities in WebGL "should be the developer's choice".

Not all use-cases and audiences are created equal. Not all of them fit into the very narrow vision of 3d as presented on mobile devices.

One of those lamentable examples that has fallen victim to the the common nominator mentality for instance is multi-render targets. And it is a perfect example at that. Because its presence can make rendering one particular use-case (deferred shading) considerably faster. It's absence, can be compensated for by the developer by rendering the output in multiple passes and taking the speed hit in stride. However, nobody who really needs to do deferred shading is going not to do deferred shading, he's simply not going to do it in WebGL at all if he finds the speed hit too unpalatable.