Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL NPOT texture support

On 17/11/11 03:10 PM, Chris Marrin wrote:
And from the standpoint of an implementor of both desktop and mobile
WebGL, and someone interested in wide WebGL adoption, I think it's a
big mistake to push the limits of graphics capabilities at this
point. At this stage of WebGL's development I think ubiquity is more
important than power. If we get ourselves into a situation where
there are extensions not widely supported in hardware, we're going to
see fragmentation in content. Many people's first experience with
WebGL will be a bad one. There will come a time where it will be
appropriate to push the boundaries, but I don't think now is that
time.

I sure do sympathize with this viewpoint, which I've repeatedly expressed myself in the past; for the other side of the argument, see my previous email.

I'm torn, and looking at the emails in this thread, it's a 50%-50% split. We need to find a way forward, that doesn't involve telling half of people here that they're wrong.

I'm thinking that we already did one very good thing by designing WebGL extensions in such a way that they're a lot harder to accidentally rely on, than OpenGL extensions. I'd like to see what more we can do in this direction.

Benoit

----- ~Chris cmarrin@apple.com