Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL NPOT texture support

On Nov 17, 2011, at 11:36 AM, Kornmann, Ralf wrote:

> From a game developers point of view I could not agree more. To be honest every time I read the argument that something should not be added because it is not widely supported by a device class I get at little bit sad. It’s fine to define a core feature set that needs to be supported from every WebGL implementation. But please give us options to go beyond these limits. If WebGL can give me access to the whole featureset of modern desktop GPUs I would gratefully take it. But to prevent an extension chaos it might be smart to go the same way as DirectX. Define some feature levels with predefined sets of supported functions. Maybe in the case of WebGL it might be useful to do this by device classes like desktop, mobile, tablet, smart TV, etc. In most cases the developers need to tailor the UI for these different types anyway and therefore there will most time a decision if you even want to support a device class with your webapp or page.

And from the standpoint of an implementor of both desktop and mobile WebGL, and someone interested in wide WebGL adoption, I think it's a big mistake to push the limits of graphics capabilities at this point. At this stage of WebGL's development I think ubiquity is more important than power. If we get ourselves into a situation where there are extensions not widely supported in hardware, we're going to see fragmentation in content. Many people's first experience with WebGL will be a bad one. There will come a time where it will be appropriate to push the boundaries, but I don't think now is that time.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com