[Public WebGL] WebGL

Hi,

I'm writing a 2D game engine in WebGL (see www.scirra.com), and this is my first mail to the list - apologies if this has been discussed before.

I've found the power-of-two restrictions in WebGL a little inconvenient, since NPOT textures are common in 2D games. It seems a shame that in WebGL NPOT textures can't be mipmapped or directly tiled without stretching to a POT texture first. I've done some work with desktop OpenGL and found the GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two extension to be widely supported and very useful for this situation: it allows direct tiling and mipmapping of NPOT textures which is great for 2D games. There does not appear to be an NPOT extension for WebGL. Could I suggest that one be added to indicate the relaxing of POT rules? Since many desktop systems seem to support it this means the workarounds could be disabled on these machines for a better gaming experience.

Thanks,

--
Ashley Gullen
Scirra.com