Re: [Public WebGL] Issues with Extension Registry

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

> I have some issues with the registry:
> 1) Why are extensions "numbered"? It doesn't seem to add any value to list
> the "number" of the extension in the specs. I think we should remove it

This was discussed in the working group some months ago. The model was
inherited from the OpenGL extension registry, and I recall that the
reason for numbering there is that extensions are written as deltas
relative to the spec. The numbering disambiguates which extension
applies its edits to a given section first.

> 2) A better approach would be to list the submission date of the
> extension. Then the there can be a list of extensions by submission date.

How does this really differ from the numbering scheme? Extensions
submitted later have a higher number.

Also, how would ambiguity be resolved between two extensions submitted
on the same day? Admittedly this is a rare case.

> 3) Extensions should be listed by submission date and alphabetically

Sorry, do you mean having two lists (one sorted by submission date and
one sorted alphabetically), or one list sorted primarily by date and
secondarily alphabetically?

> 4) Every spec should have a status section.

This should be implicit in the first line of each spec (whether it's
draft or not), and draft specs should use the Khronos working draft
banner. However, it looks like there are inconsistencies; I'll clean
this up.

> 5) Specs  that are final should be in a separate list from those still under
> evaluation

This sounds good. What would you think about making this split but
leaving the numbering scheme?

-Ken