Re: [Public WebGL] WEBKIT_ extensions

On 05/11/2011 00:31, Glenn Maynard wrote:
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Mark Callow <callow_mark@hicorp.co.jp> wrote:

You lost me. What is the broader issue that needs settling?

Extension prefixing semantics. It'll just come up again the next time a vendor extension reaches multiple browsers.

WEBGL_EXT is the appropriate answer for all such cases.

WEBGL_<VENDOR PREFIX> is for single vendor extensions.

WEBGL_WEBGL is reserved for Khronos ratified extensions that are specific to WEBGL.

WEBGL_WEBGL does look a bit odd. The equivalents in OpenGL & OpenGL ES are GL_ARB and GL_OES so they don't at first glance look so odd but they have the same meaning <API>_<prefix for WG Approved extensions>.

If WEBGL is exposing an existing OES or ARB extension, essentially unchanged, then we can consider, WEBGL_{OES,ARB} which is what has been done with the float texture extension.

Regards

-Mark