Re: [Public WebGL] Texture Compression in WebGL

Hey,

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 15:30, Kornmann, Ralf <rkornmann@ea.com> wrote:
> 1.ÂÂÂÂÂÂ Reducing the download time for the players. We still have many
> customers with slower (~1 MBIt/s) connections.
> 2.ÂÂÂÂÂÂ Reducing the bandwidth cost. This may not a problem for many sites
> today but if we deliver game content to Millions of people this would
> require quite an amount of bandwidth that is not for free.

Please let's not be confused here.

Texture compression has not much to do with improving network download
times wrt network bandwidth, can be the opposite even (without adding
counter-measures like say, transferring with  gzip content encoding).

An uncompressed texture (ie. loaded from a png or jpeg) usually has
much better compression ratios than a regular ETC/DXT compressed
texture (ie. 6:1).

Of course, for _GPU memory_ bandwidth/upload time on the other hand,
compressed textures help a lot.

Regards,