Re: [Public WebGL] Texture Compression in WebGL

Things I would like:

* ability to transcode from a wire format (e.g. jpg) into the gpu compressed format, without blocking the main thread (I.e. async interface, taking advantage of multicore where available).

* some way to express channel and quality preferences when picking an available gpu format.  I don't know what this interface should look like since it's a bit tricky.  Part of me would like to just say "give me a color format with at least k bits of alpha", and part of me wants an enumeration of specific formats that are available so I can write my code to choose among them, using specific knowledge of the formats.

* ability to cache the transcoded texture via the file api, and efficiently get it back into webgl.  Likewise, the ability to pull prebaked compressed assets from the network and pass them to webgl.

-T