Re: [Public WebGL] Stereoscopic monitors

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Shropshire, Andrew A <shropshire@att.com> wrote:
Ok thanks for the information.  Perhaps some non-stereoscopic 3D display
will come along in the future that will be cheap.  If I were designing the
3D apis, I would anticipate this and make the projection part of the
pipeline removable.

Modern games actually don't do the "render left/right" approach because they don't have the budget. They use a reprojection technique that takes a single depth/color image and makes left/right views off of that. In theory, WebGL could do that during compositing into HTML, although there is the sticking issue of how to deal with disocclusion (i.e. the parts of the scene visible from one eye but not the source render) that tends to be application-specific. And, there's the issue whether it is worth it. I've spent 5 years developing 3-D displays, and don't really see much progress yet; it's one of those things that is perpetually an "emerging technology."

Also it might be helpful to have more text handling
routines and font support like SVG, to facilitate drawing of text in 3D so
that mundane work like improving the look of buttons, scrollbars etc in
business applications could be improved.  Maybe this is what Windows 8 will
do.

WebGL is in the OpenGL spirit of being fairly low-level and minimal. This is the kind of thing that you expect to see in a library written on top of WebGL. One popular library is three.js:

http://www.aerotwist.com/lab/getting-started-with-three-js/

-Won

Andrew Shropshire

AT&T Government Solutions, Inc.