Re: [Public WebGL] Proposals for two new WebGL extensions

On 11/10/11 04:04 PM, Florian Bösch wrote:
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com
<mailto:bjacob@mozilla.com>> wrote:

    Certainly browser extensions are a smaller audience than web pages;
    but they do exist and I welcome any effort to standardize also the
    privileged interfaces that they use.

I just think it's ironic that due to privacy concerns these information
should be sacrificed. The User-Agent includes everything&the kitchensink
on information.

Firefox's UA string, in stable releases, only gives the OS, CPU architecture, and the Firefox version. The rest is frozen to arbitrary meaningless values. For example:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.0; WOW64; rv:6.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0

Thus it doesn't give any information that couldn't be easily inferred by other means, except perhaps 1 bit for the CPU architecture (32/64 bit).

Benoit