Re: [Public WebGL] readPixles() can't access float values (OES_texture_float interaction)

On Sep 19, 2011, at 12:32 PM, Glenn Maynard wrote:

> ...I disagree with the idea that WebGL shouldn't do this because ES doesn't.  ES and WebGL have different policies for extensions, and I think WebGL's rationale for breaking from ES in this applies here as well: don't expose optional functionality unless it's explicitly enabled.

I want to be clear that I'm not against adding this feature, if consensus exists for it. I agree that it is widely available on desktop hardware and would be useful in that context. But if we do it, we should use an extension explicitly for rendering to a floating point frame buffer, not as part of an existing floating point texture extension.

WebGL uses a different model for extensions than GL or GLES, and I think it's a better model for the web. If you want an extension, you attempt to enable it. If the enable fails, you can't use it. If you attempt to use it without first enabling it (in the case of extensions that don't add any new API) it will fail in all cases. We should have conformance tests for this.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com