Re: [Public WebGL] Disable software rendering

On 21/06/2011, at 7:22 PM, Mark Callow wrote:
> requestAnimationFrame is supposed to do exactly what you are asking for. The problem is either WebGL applications that are not using requestAnimationFrame, you using a browser that does not support requestAnimationFrame or a bug in your browser.

I've updated to the latest nightly and tried going to learningwebgl... I oened tabs on links from the latest demos from WebGL around the Net, and my browser became bogged down. Looking at the CPU usage showed Webkit was over 100% CPU, and I hadn't moved to the other tabs yet.

Does anyone else have the same behaviour from doing the same, or is it a problem with my machine? I'm being a little simple here, because this is how a lot of people will perceive WebGL, and it's not a correct behaviour to cause me so much trouble especially when Flash doesn't.

Perhaps the first call to create a 3d canvas could block the tab until it is being viewed? Pre-loading in the background isn't necessarily the best behaviour for resource intensive programs...

--
  steve@adam.com.au