Re: [Public WebGL] Disable software rendering

On 21/06/2011, at 12:17 PM, Mo, Zhenyao wrote:
> As Gregg points out, WebGL only supports non-mipmapped NPOT at the
> moment, assuming the underlying driver supports that (it's required by
> spec, either GL or GL ES 2).  The browser isn't aware whether the
> driver implements it in HW or SW.

Since this is the situation, it won't be possible to implement finer grained control for better outcomes. As such, the mechanism used to prevent Flash from running until it's in the foreground is the minimum that needs to be implemented for WebGL. The "experimental-3d" canvas needs to be blocked from displaying, running, or otherwise consuming CPU.

This is going to be a little more difficult than Flash, as the code is in Javascript and may not check if the canvas is yet visible. This could be mitigated with nextAnimationFrame being aware of the display status of the canvas. There may be other ideas for implementing this, but I do know that not doing anything is going to cause problems in the longer term.

I'm probably one of a lesser number of people, but I don't think I'm a negligible minority. When I read RSS feeds or news sites like Reddit, I open multiple tabs. When those tabs contain Flash, it's fine. When those tabs contain WebGL, my machine is unusable. This isn't an impression that we want more people to acquire as they upgrade...

--
  steve@adam.com.au