Re: [Public WebGL] Disable software rendering

> Now if you throw float textures and vertex-shader-texture-lookup into the mix (admittedly not yet universally supported) you can even perform sprites coordinates updates on the GPU, eliminating the vertex data transfers on every frame, making it even faster than in Jeff's post.

The moment you say "vertex-shader-texture-lookup" you're already saying "i want hardware access" so you already know what context you want.

I'm not trying to say that the 2d context can be as fast as directly coded, use case specific webgl context, i'm saying that for normal 2d drawing there's no reason for it to be significantly slower.  And so the question "which context should i use" is a fairly meaningless question to ask the UA.  You either have a meticulously coded webgl implementation or you don't -- in such a case the UA can't give you an answer better than that which you already know.

If you have essentially built an implementation of the 2d canvas api on top webgl there is no reason for it to be faster than builtin canvas, because the UA should be able to do much more than you can (after all it's theoretically trusted code so doesn't have to be paranoid about itself).

--Oliver