Re: [Public WebGL] Disable software rendering

On 20/06/2011, at 1:30 PM, Mark Callow wrote:
> I thought the OP was talking about apps taking alternative measures on finding that some non-OpenGL ES 2.0-feature it wants to use is not available. This has nothing to do with the underlying GL driver.
>
> Perhaps my interpretation is coloured by the fact that I do not know of any OpenGL ES 2.0 "GPU" that falls back to software nor any full software implementation that is used in mobile or embedded products.

A clarifying example. My ATi Radeon X1600 Mobile CPU requires powers of two textures. If it doesn't get POT, then it will becomes very slow while my CPU works hard (= software rendering). I'm asking for this fallback to be turned off, so that it will just fail if it's not going to run on the GPU.

I'm not concerned about "which context is better" though it's an interesting idea. I just want it to be "this code is written for the GPU, and it must run only on the GPU or provide errors". It would be great to know what the errors are, or to get the features, but I understand that's another discussion.

In practical terms, as an every day experience by normal people, I find that having web pages with WebGL on them is increasingly thrashing my machine and becoming a real issue. I'm ahead of the curve because I load more WebGL pages than usual, but this will become more common.

--
  steve@adam.com.au