Re: [Public WebGL] Disable software rendering

I feel like this needs to be up to the app.

Just asking which is faster "2d" or "webgl" is impossible without knowing what they are going to try to do with each and how they are going to do it.

For example I can imagine if I wanted to animate some text (http://mrdoob.com/projects/chromeexperiments/google_sphere/)

If I got a "webgl" context I'd upload each word as a texture. If I got a "2d" context I might draw each piece of text with ctx.fillText(..).

In that case I would suspect software "webgl" would be faster than 2d

Only the app knows what it plans to do. It seems like the app needs to do its own timing and decide to use webgl or some other technique.