Re: [Public WebGL] Could Flash run OpenGL ES 2.0 shaders?

On 14/06/2011, at 3:49 PM, Mark Callow wrote:
JebGL does not seem to work. I had the following results, all on Windows XP:

> 	• FF4 - no canvas displayed, only text.
> 	• Chrome continuous - Tells me I do not have a Java plug-in
> 	• IE8 - a web page appears telling me "A malfunctioning or malicious add-on has caused Internet Explorer to close this webpage." One time I even got a pop-up message about a program crash, though IE kept running and displayed the preceding message.

Thank you for testing and reporting the results, as I don't have a PC or a Windows setup. I didn't know the OpenGL driver situation was that dire, so that's a surprise to me! That would seem to be a deal killer, and the speed of ExternalInterface is also a deal killer for Flash.

So I have to agree that the Chrome Frame plugin, along with its modern Javascript speed and HTML5 APIs, is the only option for achieving cross platform 3D, even though IE users will need to install it. An outcome that benefits the developer as well - nice. :)

--
  steve@adam.com.au