Re: [Public WebGL] How to handle partially failing getContext()

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 15:24, Mikko Mononen <mikko@tinkercad.com> wrote:
> It is not clear to me based on the spec if that is correct behavior or
> a bug. The spec says that the attributes should not cause the
> getContext() to fail, but should I test for webgl error and retry? The
> spec states that I cannot change the attribs on second try, though.

Yes this is a bug. There is no such thing as a "partially failing" context.

For some reason the browser seems unable to get a context with alpha disabled.

Fwiw the browser should be allowed to create an underlying GL context
nevertheless alpha:false if that's what the hardware want.

I still think we should revisit the recently discussed issue of
enforcing no side-effects when the WebGL context attributes differs
from its underlying GL context (possibly through state tracking to
disable writing to alpha, depth, or stencil buffers when they are
disabled in WebGL context).

Regards,