Re: [Public WebGL] Re: [whatwg] Canvas.getContext error handling

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:45, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
>> My proposal is to add a boolean flag to know whether a context loss is
>> permanent or not, as Mark and I pointed out, having to parse a
>> (possibly localized) string to check this simple boolean status is
>> error-prone and confusing at best.
>
> You're replying to something unrelated--I already agreed that the flag
> should be there.

Sorry I misquoted.
As you might have guessed from the rest of my message, this was rather
a reply to Gregg's on why I believe exposing a statusMessage is not
necessarily a good idea, more so when we expose a flag that provides
the actual bit of information application developers can
easily/usefully act upon.

IMHO we should - at least - clarify in the spec that statusMessage is
intended for debugging purposes only, similarly to Geolocation API's
positionError.message [1].

Regards,

[1] : http://www.w3.org/TR/geolocation-API/#message