Re: [Public WebGL] Re: [whatwg] Canvas.getContext error handling

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 00:42, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
>> Additionally, if we proceed with this change, I do not support the
>> removal of the statusMessage. As an implementor of WebGL, I require
>> the ability to provide some information to application developers
>> (which might end up being sent back in in bug reports) when for some
>> reason WebGL could not initialize.
>
> My suggestion was to include the statusMessage within webglcontextlost.

statusMessage is already present in the WebGLContextEvent object all
WebGL-initiated events share.

My proposal is to add a boolean flag to know whether a context loss is
permanent or not, as Mark and I pointed out, having to parse a
(possibly localized) string to check this simple boolean status is
error-prone and confusing at best.

I understand statusMessage can provide a bit additional information,
however I'm not sure this is the right channel to expose this
information.
It is only useful to the end-user for applications that do something
smart about it. I'm wary that apps will just display it at best...
obviously every app would display the status message in different
ways, which could be confusing to the end-user.

The browser, on the other hand could present it better with
non-obstrusive information/error that gives a more consistent
experience and potential action items to the user, through the browser
vendor's favorite channel (eg. an information bar similar to what most
browser do wrt geolocation UI, linking to
browservendor.com/webgl/troubleshooting/<error_type>).

Regards,