[Public WebGL] Re: [whatwg] Canvas.getContext error handling

Following up from whatwg: http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2011-April/031192.html. To recap, step 6 of getContext ("Return a new object for contextId"), which is where WebGL takes over, was never intended to return null. null isn't a "new object", it's no object.

I'd recommend, in line with Cedric's suggestion:

Â- getContext always returns a WebGLRenderingContext, whether the drawing surface can be created or not.
Â- If the drawing surface couldn't be created (where it currently returns null), synchronously dispatch webglcontextlost before getContext returns.
Â- webglcontextcreationerror is dropped; statusMessage is included with webglcontextlost instead.

This addresses the getContext API issue. Also, all context creation errors are reported in one place (webglcontextlost), whether it's an initial failure during getContext or a failure later on. These failures are symmetric--they can both happen for the same reasons.

The webglcontextlost event stays consistent: preventDefault would allow restoring the context later on if possible, regardless of whether the event was fired by getContext or later on. This will help stop people from implementing ugly retry-getContext timers or "try again!" buttons; if you want to support recovery from initial context failure, just preventDefault the event as you would any other time.

(As a bonus, an async initialization API becomes straightforward.)

Sample initialization code:

var error = null;
canvas.addEventListener("webglcontextlost", function(event) { error = event.statusMessage; }, false);

var gl = canvas.getContext("webgl");
assert(
("WebGLRenderingContext" in window) == (gl != null)); // this is now guaranteed
if(gl == null)
ÂÂÂ throw "WebGL is not supported by your browser";

// either initWebGL has already been called or error is set
if(gl.isContextLost()) // or if if(error != null)
ÂÂÂ throw "Error initializing WebGL: " + error;
// continue initialization