Re: [Public WebGL] webglcontextrestored, WEBKIT_lose_context

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Adrienne Walker <enne@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think it's incomplete.  You can write two tests: one where you
>> register the webglcontextlost event handler to test restoration
>> behavior and one where you don't to test behavior under a permanently
>> lost context.  That's what we do in WebKit.
>
> This doesn't allow me to test losing the context, manipulating the UI in
> some way while the context is lost, then restoring the context later.

I tend to agree with this observation. While the extension was
originally under development there were several offline discussions
around whether an explicit restoreContext() was needed. At the time
there was agreement that it wasn't, since as Adrienne points out one
can simply write multiple tests. However, if you're trying to stress
test an existing application, I think having control over when context
restoration is attempted would make it easier, and allow testing more
application states.

I think we should revise the extension specification and add an
explicit restoreContext() call. Adrienne, what do you think?