Re: [Public WebGL] Volume Textures

On Apr 5, 2011, at 7:56 PM, John Davis wrote:

I'm frustrated we are hamstringing the spec due to limitations on the mobile side.  The majority of web browsers out there are not being used on mobile devices.  Call me nuts, but this just doesn't make sense.

Look at the Web clients table.

Patience. A full web browsing experience one mobile devices has been around for less than 4 years. In that time mobile devices have increased in performance by a factor of at least 5 and graphics has improved by a factor of around 20 or so. And yet mobile devices are just now getting capable enough to give a decent WebGL experience. Just imagine where we will be in another 4 years.

Drivers need to get more robust and we still need another doubling or two to really make WebGL viable across the board. Don't look where we are today. Prepare for where we'll be in a couple of years.

2 years ago there was no way to do anything like WebGL in a browser. Now we have that capability in several major browser offering with more to surely follow in the future. I don't call that hamstrung, I call it progress and am excited about the next steps!

-----
~Chris