Re: [Public WebGL] Volume Textures

Yeah, the numbers are pretty hard to quantify, especially if you try to toss in something like "modern web browser" in there.  The *trend* is that people are accessing the "full modern web" more and more from phones, but nowhere near as much as from desktops right this moment.  So WebGL can either follow the trend and have it become the absolute standard way of doing 3D on the web on both desktop and mobile, or it can sacrifice some mobile compat now, with the expectation that mobile will "catch up" hardware capability wise soon... but that opens the door to having some other technology come in and grow with mobile from day one.

However, that's an argument for baseline capabilities.  I'd personally like to see a broader set of extensions, including 3D textures.  Their usage should also provide useful information for mobile hardware manufacturers' future silicon plans.

    - Vlad