Re: [Public WebGL] More WebGL extensions

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

>>> Sure, but that should be yet another extension, since it is possible to support one without the other.
>>
>> I don't think a third extension is needed. All that's needed is to
>> specify that if both the OES_texture_float and this multisampling
>> extension are enabled, then multisampling is enabled for
>> floating-point renderbuffers (if the implementation supports it -- and
>> the framebuffer's status will be FRAMEBUFFER_UNSUPPORTED otherwise).
>
> I don't know the reality in the drivers, but my concern is that there may be some drivers that support OES_texture_float and some form of framebuffer multisampling, but can't do multisampling with floating point texture buffers. The author needs to know such a situation exists to know how to allocate the supporting renderbuffers in the framebuffer.
>
> But that may be a moot point. Maybe you always get one with the other?

Oops, my fault. I was confusing support for floating-point textures
and floating-point renderbuffers. Multisampled FBOs require the use of
renderbuffers, not textures, for the color attachment. Enabling
OES_texture_float wouldn't affect the behavior of this multisampling
extension.

If we wanted that behavior, you're right, we'd need to spec another
extension adding floating-point renderbuffers. I don't know whether
there are any OES extensions for that functionality today.