Re: [Public WebGL] More WebGL extensions

On Mar 31, 2011, at 12:00 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

>>> ...Also, we would need to specify interactions with OES_texture_float.
>>> Multisampled floating-point render targets would be extremely useful
>>> for high quality HDR rendering.
>>
>> Sure, but that should be yet another extension, since it is possible to support one without the other.
>
> I don't think a third extension is needed. All that's needed is to
> specify that if both the OES_texture_float and this multisampling
> extension are enabled, then multisampling is enabled for
> floating-point renderbuffers (if the implementation supports it -- and
> the framebuffer's status will be FRAMEBUFFER_UNSUPPORTED otherwise).

I don't know the reality in the drivers, but my concern is that there may be some drivers that support OES_texture_float and some form of framebuffer multisampling, but can't do multisampling with floating point texture buffers. The author needs to know such a situation exists to know how to allocate the supporting renderbuffers in the framebuffer.

But that may be a moot point. Maybe you always get one with the other?

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com