Re: [Public WebGL] Firefox 4 and blacklist reporting

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 1:29 AM, Mark Callow <callow_mark@hicorp.co.jp> wrote:
On 29/03/2011 03:57, Kenneth Russell wrote:
> The spec says that getContext() is supposed to return null, not throw
> an exception, and report a webglcontextcreationerror. See
> http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/specs/latest/#5.14.3 .
Neither the FAQ nor webgl-utils.js on the public wiki provide any
information about how to handle this error. In fact webgl-utils.js
recommends sending the user to get.webgl.org/troubleshooting in the case
that getContext() returns null.

I thought get.webgl.org/troubleshooting would try the context creation
again and display the error string from webglcontextcreationerror, if
any?

No, it should not because many cards and browsers crash on context creation which means going to that page would not help them.

From my test it appears not. When I tried from Chrome on a machine
with a blacklisted GPU troubleshooting tells me

"Click here for WebGL troubleshooting info for Chrome on Windows"

When I click that I get a error page telling me the page is unavailable.

In summary, the FAQ needs to show how to handle the error and
get.webgl.org/troubleshooting needs to use it and display any message
from the browser.

Regards

   -Mark