From: owner-public_webgl@khronos.org [mailto:owner-public_webgl@khronos.org] On Behalf Of John Congote
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:58 AM
To: Ginsburg, Daniel
Cc: jdavis@pcprogramming.com; Kenneth Russell; Thatcher Ulrich; public webgl; Gregg Tavares (wrk); Gavriel State; Daniel Koch
Subject: Re: [Public WebGL] Volume Textures

Hello,

As you mentioned, 3D texture support would be very useful for medical
imaging. Although, some workarounds exist in order to obtain the same
graphical results with some penalization on dedicated platforms
(Desktop-Workstation), but also gives the possibility to get the
results in other devices like tablet pcs and mobile phones.

We are presenting our approach for volume rendering in webgl in a
publication. We had been working on it for about 1 year, the reason
why we publish it now is because the WebGL specification has just been
released. Our work is a volume rendering implementation using Ray
Casting in a volume dataset stored as a 2D texture.

We have intention to show a public demo at the end of the week.

Thanks.

2011/3/24 Ginsburg, Daniel <Daniel.Ginsburg@childrens.harvard.edu>:

> I agree. ÂHaving 3D texture support would be especially useful in the medical imaging domain. ÂSince 3D textures have been supported on desktop GPUs since 2000-ish, it would be great to see this available as an extension for desktop WebGL implementations.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Dan
>

> On 3/24/11 7:18 AM, "John Davis" <jdavis@pcprogramming.com> wrote:
>
> In the meantime, is there any chance we could add an extension to WebGL and Angle to support volume textures for the rather large use case of Chrome and FireFox? ÂThis is very low hanging fruit that will add considerable bang on the fragment shader side.
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
> GL_OES_texture_3D seems to be unsupported on current iOS hardware,
> which means that content using that extension wouldn't be portable to
> a significant percentage of mobile devices. For this reason there
> currently is no plan to incorporate that extension into the WebGL
> registry as a "core" extension. A browser vendor would be welcome to
> add it as a vendor-specific extension.
>
> That having been said, the WebGL spec aims to track the OpenGL ES
> spec, and we anticipate a revision of the WebGL spec later this year
> which is likely to add this functionality.
>
> -Ken
>
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM, John Davis <jdavis@pcprogramming.com> wrote:
>> Correct, but trilinear filtering in hardware is typically faster, and
>> doesn't increase the instruction count. ÂNot to mention, it's also much
>> easier to have trilinear filtering that just works rather than implementing
>> it with 2D.
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Thatcher Ulrich <tu@tulrich.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> It doesn't seem that hard to simulate a volume texture using a large
>>> 2D texture. ÂAm I wrong?
>>>
>>> -T

> --
> Dan Ginsburg / email: daniel.ginsburg@childrens.harvard.edu
> Principal Software Architect
> Fetal-Neonatal Neuroimaging and Development Science Center
> Children's Hospital Boston
> 300 Longwood Avenue
> Boston, MA 02115
> Phone: 857-218-5140

M.Sc. John Edgar Congote Calle
Sistemas de transporte inteligentes e IngenierÃa / Intelligent
Transport Systems and Engineering
Vicomtech-IK4 - Visual Interaction Communication Technologies
Mikeletegi Pasealekua, 57 - Parque TecnolÃgico
20009 Donostia - San SebastiÃn - Spain
Tel: +[34] 943 30 92 30
Fax: +[34] 943 30 93 93
e-mail: jcongote@vicomtech.org