Re: [Public WebGL] RequestAnimationFrame stops updating after hitting a breakpoint

Hi,

Does anyone use setInterval() together with requestAnimationFrame() to
limit the rendering frequency?

We're running into all kinds of weird problems when using it. For
example if the tab is hidden for some time, the application often just
hangs when you come back to the tab or the response is really springy,
something like 3 or more frames behind. I always thought the request
was just kind of "dirty flag" not something that is queued up.

The reason I would not like to use requestAnimationFrame() only is
that it frequently (but randomly) misses some a request and in that
case the whole app becomes unusable. Another reason to limit the FPS
is to preserve battery too.

I'm seeing the problems with both Chrome (11) and FF4. Chrome seems to be worse.

BTW does anyone have typed array shim that works with Opera too?

--mikko

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Mark Callow <callow_mark@hicorp.co.jp> wrote:
>>  On 2011/02/09 10:11, Gregg Tavares (wrk) wrote:
>>
>>> Hopefully with in a month or 2 all browsers that support canvas will
>>> support requestAnimationFrame so user's will stop going to pages that
>>> DOS their machine with setTimeout or setInterval. I believe all
>>> browsers the support WebGL will support requestAnimiationFrame. It's
>>> only IE that hasn't said if they have plans to implement it.
>> I note the use of "will". Do Chrome9 stable and FF4 currently support
>> requestAnimationFrame or not?
>>
>> In a similar vein, does Chrome9 stable use "subset" or "subarray" in its
>> Typed Array implementation?
>
> Neither. It uses "slice". I'm afraid that the shims that have been
> posted here will probably be necessary until Chrome 11.
>
> -Ken
>
>> Regards
>>
>>    -Mark

Mikko Mononen, Software Engineer