Re: [Public WebGL] Volume Textures

On 3/28/11 2:19 PM, "Chris Marrin" <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2011, at 10:58 AM, Ginsburg, Daniel wrote:
>

>>> That doesn't mean we can't discuss other extensions (like this one). But I
>>> would be very against adding any and all extensions just because they exist
>>> on
>>> some driver in some version of OpenGL on some platform. I even agree that 3D
>>> textures are available in a majority of desktop OpenGL implementations. And
>>> GL_OES_texture_3D is defined for OpenGL ES. But I don't know of any current
>>> implementations of OpenGL ES that support it.
>>
>> I believe that GL_OES_texture_3D is supported on the Qualcomm Snapdragon
>> Adreno GPU.
>
> As far as I know nothing with that chip has shipped yet. I think you'll see it
> becoming more common over the coming year or two on lots of embedded hardware.
> But I think there has to be more than an existence proof to make a viable
> candidate.

Actually there are a large number of devices that have shipped with Snapdragon Adreno including the Nexus One:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(System_on_Chip)

According to this site, the OpenGL ES 2.0 driver exports GL_OES_texture_3d:

http://glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=glpro20&D=Google+Nexus+One&testgroup=gl

--
Dan Ginsburg / email: daniel.ginsburg@childrens.harvard.edu
Principal Software Architect