[Public WebGL] Reading PNG files directly.

I have several situations where I need to read the content of an image
file in JavaScript (eg, I use a height map for cheesy collision
detection).

It looks like all of the examples where people are doing this entails
from the canvas as needed...so that's what I'm doing.

However, I'm getting odd reports of problems in these subsystems - and I
suspect that these relate to people with 16 bit frame buffer setups where
the data is being cut back to 4/4/4/4 precision.

Is there any way to get around this?  (Aside from packing my data into
only the 4 MSB's - which would double the size of my height map
downloads).

  -- Steve