Re: [Public WebGL] Weird shader compiler error - casting a mat4 into a mat3.

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Oliver Hunt <oliver@apple.com> wrote:
> Couldn't ANGLE just emit its own constructor where appropriate?
> mat4 foo = mat4FromMat3(mat3);
>
> Is the mat4(mat3) constructor defined as part of GLES2.0's shader language?
>  If it isn't then an implementation (such as ANGLE) should be explicitly
> disallowing it on all platforms.  If it is defined as part of the spec then
> an implementation must ensure that it will work regardless of the backend.
>  If it's not part of the GLSL ES spec, then we would be extending the
> language, and so need to define that extension, but i'm fairly sure we don't
> want to do anything like that.

This and other related constructors are part of GLES 2.0.

Steve, it would be helpful if you would file a bug on
http://angleproject.googlecode.com/ to improve the handling of
matrix/matrix constructors when translating to GLSL. We ought to be
able to translate these better when running on GLSL 1.10.

-Ken