Re: [Public WebGL] FF4 webgl doesn't work on ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

On Mar 11, 2011, at 3:03 PM, Stephen Bannasch wrote:

At 2:48 PM -0800 3/11/11, Gregg Tavares (wrk) wrote:
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
> There is no good reason for every application to have to handle this
> individually.
There is a good reason if a site wants to send users to branded pages to help with their troubles. They might also be in a walled garden or they think our landing pages are too garish or slow or something. The point is, landing pages are good to have, but we also need to provide authors with a good set of tools and let them go nuts.

I don't think we should encourage that though. If a large company wants to spend thousands of dollars tracking down troubleshooting info for every browser and platform combination and translating that into every language nothing is stopping them but most developers will be better served by just directing to those links which will ultimately take users to info relevant for their situation.

Most of where I deploy are schools and if a teacher or a student try and use an activity that requires WebGL and WebGL is not available I'd like to present both:

1) Some simple steps to take to fix the situation (in a school this usually means providing a summary of the steps that canthenperformed by IT staff).

2) A alternate presentation of what they might see if WebGL was working.

If you open this page: http://visual-demos.dev.concord.org/seasons/earth/index.html in IE, Safari, FF3 etc you will see some suggestions and the WebGL content area has been replaced with a movie.

That's a very nice fallback page! But I would suggest making the "You need a WebGL enabled browser" bit stand out a little more :-)

-----
~Chris