Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL 1.0 ratified and released

On Mar 10, 2011, at 11:30 AM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

> Chromium's implementation passes GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT as the
> renderbuffer internal format when running on desktop GL, so it must be
> the case that that card interprets it as 16 bits.
>
> If you allocate a DEPTH_STENCIL renderbuffer instead, you're very
> likely to get a 24-bit depth buffer on all cards.
>
> We can't provide a guarantee that DEPTH_COMPONENT16 will be upgraded
> to 24 bits on all cards, and also can't guarantee that it will be
> limited to 16 bits of precision on all cards. I recall at least one
> WebGL bug on the Mac where DEPTH_COMPONENT16 wasn't supported at all
> on a given card. The best bet is to specify the OES_depth24 extension
> for WebGL.

Right, but on desktop cards that support it, we should really be using 24 bit depth buffers. We might have to finesse this for some drivers, like the one in the bug.

Looks like this is going to be another trip to the Test Lab for both of us...

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com