Re: [Public WebGL] Firefox 4 driver blocklist now documented (and expanded)

It's useful and greatly welcomed - thanks!

We need to do more though.

We have to explain more clearly to our end-users what they have to do to
actually access WebGL-enabled sites - and that need is rapidly becoming
critical.

Having every application writer do a pile of complicated and
frequently-changing tests in order to tell the poor user what's going
wrong is a really REALLY bad idea because most sites simply won't do it.
This needs to be offloaded to a one-time, centrally maintained,
vendor-neutral web site, supported by the browser companies - and
eventually, by hardware manufacturers too.

I'm getting upwards of 100,000 unique visitors per month to my site.
That's barely a blip - but we're not actively promoting it yet.  The
server stat's are instructive though.  They suggest that less than 1% of
those 100,000 people actually got a valid rendering context - so the other
99% were redirected to http://get.webgl.org

Over the last few weeks, I broke out my stats by browser type and a clear
majority of those who failed had evidently been running Chrome-9 or
Firefox 4 beta!  So they presumably failed because their chip/driver is
blacklisted - or because it flat out doesn't work for some other reason.

That suggests to me that get.webgl.org needs some improvement.  At the
very least, we need for it to say something other than "Your browser
doesn't support WebGL" for blacklisted machines.

Specifically, it needs to distinguish five different cases:

1) You really DO need to upgrade your browser (and here is the link to
your browser's upgrade site to allow you to painlessly do that).

2) Your browser only supports WebGL in some unreleased beta/nightly build
- so either switch to THIS browser (link) or if you're feeling brave, grab
the beta/nightly build from HERE (link).

3) Your browser doesn't support WebGL at all - so you need to switch to a
completely different browser (and here is a list of links to browsers that
should work).

4) Your browser is just fine but the current version of your device driver
is blacklisted and upgrading your device drivers should fix that.  (We
might also offer advice on how to override the blacklist "at your own
risk"...but that's a bit controversial).

5) Your graphics card/cellphone/pad is a piece of junk (and here is a list
of our sponsors who'll happily sell you a new one that DOES support
WebGL).

We definitely need something better.  But I don't think it's possible to
split out all of those five cases without help from the browser itself.

  -- Steve