Re: [Public WebGL] OpenGL drivers in Firefox

Setting the "prefer_gl" preference on a Windows machine under Firefox is
logically identical to testing the application under Linux or MacOS (and
thereby forcing it to use OpenGL). If these "popular applications" work
differently under different OS's then we have a problem that's much
bigger than whether we allow users to flip the flag or not.

Obviously, one would hope that these flags would be unnecessary in any
browser - simply because flipping the flag SHOULD have no practical
consequences.

However, we aren't there yet - there are still broswer kinks being
worked out - and being able to play with these settings is a valuable
way to find the inevitable bugs that are out there.  It is vastly better
that we allow developers to test their apps in both OpenGL and ANGLE by
flipping a flag than by having to reboot their computers!   To test
Chrome with and without OpenGL, I have to have two computers on my desk
- that's a LOT less convenient than having Firefox's flag.  If you make
it harder for developers to test both ways then you just end up with
developers who'll get lazy and not do that testing - resulting in a
bunch of WebGL applications ending up being "Windows-only" or
"Cellphone-only".

Logically: we either don't care that these flags exist (because they
don't do anything at the application level) - or we need them to exist
(precisely in order that we can find out WHY they have an effect at the
application level).   Either way, getting rid of them doesn't seem to
provide much benefit.

  -- Steve