Re: [Public WebGL] invalid framebuffer operation in Firefox

On 12/23/2010 12:03 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
> [...]
I understand that some cellphones can't do better - but this is an
insanely crippling limitation.  Doing shadow rendering without
render-to-depth texture, without floating point destinations, and
without any kind of 16 bit format...argh!

I believe my current shadow renderer works with 4/4/4/4 but I'm working
in a very small view volume (basically a single room).  If anyone wants
to render an outdoor scene with shadows - it's going to be an absolute
bitch!

You'd have to use cascading shadow maps - where the precision of the
depth map got progressively worse further from the camera - but because
precision is a big issue with shadowmaps, it'll be really tough to get
artists to maintain separation rules to prevent the shadows from
flimmering...and the resulting fragment shader to apply the shadows
would be horrendous.

We really need better options on desktop systems because the qualitative
clobbering we'll take from cellphone limitations is a pain for people
who don't particularly care about that market.

  -- Steve