Re: [Public WebGL] Extension proposal: WEBGL_lose_context

On 16/12/2010 10:45, Chris Marrin wrote:
On Dec 13, 2010, at 9:21 PM, Gregg Tavares (wrk) wrote:

Following the GL naming convention I'd expect them to named things like

WEBGL_OES_texture_float
WEBGL_EXT_texture_compression_ext1
WEBGL_CHROMIUM_lose_context

As I said in my previous message, I think WEBGL_ should be the equivalent of ARB_ extensions and only appear in an extension we all agree to.

Yes but that is a different WEBGL from that in the above samples. The full name of an extension is
<API >_<TAG>_extension_name
but it is usually referred to in shorthand as <TAG>_extension_name. <API> is the name of the API the extension is, er, extending, e.g. GL or EGL or WEBGL. <TAG> indicates the provenance of the extension, e.g., OES, ARB, EXT, APPLE, CHROMIUM, or etc.

So we now have GL_OES_texture_float and WEBGL_OES_texture_float. Both extensions are approved by the OpenGL ES WG (we ought to consult them about the WEBGL version); one extends WebGL, the other extends OpenGL (ES). In shorthand both are referred to as OES_texture_float.

I fully agree that extensions having the provenance <TAG> WEBGL should be approved and ratified by Khronos.

Regards

    -Mark
begin:vcard
fn:Mark Callow