Re: [Public WebGL] Extension proposal: WEBGL_lose_context

On Dec 13, 2010, at 1:10 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 13, 2010, at 9:28 AM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

>>> Having this extension improves the testability of the browser's lost
>>> context implementation. It would even add value to your wrapper by
>>> exercising the real code paths the WebGL implementation would use.
>>>
>>> I would like to add this extension to the registry and support it in
>>> Chromium. Vlad, Benoit, is there any interest from Mozilla in
>>> supporting this extension to exercise your implementation? Tim, how
>>> about Opera? If there isn't interest from any other vendor then we can
>>> just use the CHROMIUM_ prefix, but I think it would be useful more
>>> generally.
>>

>> I'm interested in it, too. My only thing I'm against is making it normative. I don't mind it having a CHROMIUM_ prefix since you guys created it. I believe there are plenty of NV extensions supported in ATI drivers. But we could also make some sort prefix that means we all agree, but it's not normative. I think WEBGL_ prefixes should be reserved for normative extensions.
>
> To reiterate, just because an extension has the WEBGL_ prefix doesn't
> mean that it is mandatory that all implementations support it. I don't
> know what you mean by a normative extension.

Perhaps normative is the wrong term. But ARB_ extensions are those that have been agreed to by participating members by some process. I believe that is what the WEBGL_ prefix should indicate. You can define, implement and change a CHROMIUM_ extension all you want. But WEBGL_ extensions should require a ratification process.

> There was discussion about having another prefix for "experimental"
> but cross-vendor extensions, but I think that's overkill.

I agree. We can be as informal as we want about vendor specific extensions.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com