Re: [Public WebGL] Ambiguity and Non-deterministicness in the WebGL Spec

On Dec 13, 2010, at 6:44 PM, Mark Callow wrote:

> On 14/12/2010 04:08, Chris Marrin wrote:
>> In the case of iOS, when you commit a drawing buffer, you're handed another new one. This could be a buffer you had before or one that is totally new and has leftover pixels from another process. And as I've mentioned, in the common case this clear operation can be skipped.
>>
> Does the WebGL implementation have no way to tell if the buffer is new?

The iOS implementation replaces the buffer passed to the compositor with a new buffer which can be anywhere in system memory. So there is no way of knowing its contents. Even if we were to save the addresses of previous buffers, they could have been used by another process since we used them last.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com