Re: [Public WebGL] Extension proposal: WEBGL_lose_context

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2010, at 9:28 AM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

>> Having this extension improves the testability of the browser's lost
>> context implementation. It would even add value to your wrapper by
>> exercising the real code paths the WebGL implementation would use.
>>
>> I would like to add this extension to the registry and support it in
>> Chromium. Vlad, Benoit, is there any interest from Mozilla in
>> supporting this extension to exercise your implementation? Tim, how
>> about Opera? If there isn't interest from any other vendor then we can
>> just use the CHROMIUM_ prefix, but I think it would be useful more
>> generally.
>

> I'm interested in it, too. My only thing I'm against is making it normative. I don't mind it having a CHROMIUM_ prefix since you guys created it. I believe there are plenty of NV extensions supported in ATI drivers. But we could also make some sort prefix that means we all agree, but it's not normative. I think WEBGL_ prefixes should be reserved for normative extensions.

To reiterate, just because an extension has the WEBGL_ prefix doesn't
mean that it is mandatory that all implementations support it. I don't
know what you mean by a normative extension.

There was discussion about having another prefix for "experimental"
but cross-vendor extensions, but I think that's overkill.