Re: [Public WebGL] Extension proposal: WEBGL_lose_context

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2010, at 11:25 AM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

>>> As I've mentioned before, I don't think debugging tools should be in the spec, or even in the registry. I think it's fine to do this sort of thing using the extension mechanism. But I don't think we should standardize it.
>>
>> The WebGL extension registry is supposed to be a central location for
>> documentation of extensions, even vendor-specific ones, so that
>> developers know where to go to find out what might be supported.
>
> Right, but the proposed extension has a WEBGL_ prefix, makes it normative. That's the part I disagree with. I think it's great that this site can be the repository of vendor specific extensions. But they need to be marked as non-normative. It would also be helpful to have an implementation table for vendor extensions.

What do you mean by normative here? The only distinction I see is
whether the extension is expected to be implemented only by a single
vendor or multiple vendors. It is perfectly legal for a WebGL
implementation to not support any extension, even one with a WEBGL_
prefix. If that isn't clear then I should probably update the foreword
in the extension registry.