Re: [Public WebGL] Extension proposal: WEBGL_lose_context

On Dec 8, 2010, at 11:25 AM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 7, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Adrienne Walker wrote:
>>
>>> Hi-
>>>
>>> Now that the extension registry is live, I'd like to propose an
>>> extension to give both app and browser developers the tools to test
>>> lost context events.  As it stands now, these are difficult to test
>>> because many platforms don't have lost context events and additionally
>>> there's no way to programmatically force the loss of a context from
>>> Javascript.  It'd also be nice to get a conformance test in for this
>>> part of the WebGL spec.
>>>
>>> I've attached a draft of this extension to this email.  Feedback welcomed.  :)
>>
>> As I've mentioned before, I don't think debugging tools should be in the spec, or even in the registry. I think it's fine to do this sort of thing using the extension mechanism. But I don't think we should standardize it.
>
> The WebGL extension registry is supposed to be a central location for
> documentation of extensions, even vendor-specific ones, so that
> developers know where to go to find out what might be supported.

Right, but the proposed extension has a WEBGL_ prefix, makes it normative. That's the part I disagree with. I think it's great that this site can be the repository of vendor specific extensions. But they need to be marked as non-normative. It would also be helpful to have an implementation table for vendor extensions.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com