Re: [Public WebGL] GLSL loops and constant expressions

On 12/07/2010 11:17 PM, Mark Callow wrote:
> On 08/12/2010 13:59, Steve Baker wrote:
>
>> It's a tough call.  Sure, having extensions and features that aren't
>> always there (eg vertex textures) will result in more 'amateur' efforts
>> failing on more machines - but shipping without any really compelling,
>> professional titles because the feature set is just too limited is alsoã...
>>
> Are you saying there aren't any "really compelling professional titles"
> running on OpenGL ES 2.0? I think there are a few vendors of app's for
> the iPhone who might disagree with you.

Oh!  Certainly not!   Some of them are extremely compelling...for a
phone app.  However, WebGL isn't only about phones...when you take a
phone app and translate it onto the big screen...it's not so
impressive.   Also, there is a real demographic difference between
people who play phone games and people who use laptops and desktops -
and even within one person, their expectations for phone games may be
totally different than games on a PC or a console.

But I dunno - it's so hard to predict what's going to happen.

This kind of technological turning point always needs a "killer app" to
hinge upon - and the thing about a killer app is that (almost without
exception) nobody can predict what it's going to be.

  -- Steve